A unique spice produced from the husks of seeds of citrus berries, native to a province in China and commonly used as part of the five-spice powder in many savory dishes.
What makes it unique? Aside from its fragrant aroma and strong flavor, Szechuan Peppercorns are known for their health benefits and have been used as a herbal remedy in ancient China.
Find out more information about Humble Market’s Szechuan Peppercorns below.
- Additional information
- Personal Wellness Benefits
- Environmental Wellness Benefits
- Serving suggestions
- Storage Instructions
50g, 25g, 15g
Personal Wellness Benefits
- Stimulated Blood Circulation – Consuming Szechuan pepper may help increase the hemoglobin content in your body and stimulate the circulatory system as it contains a high amount of iron.
- Lowers Blood Pressure – Szechuan peppercorns contain significant levels of potassium, which relaxes blood vessels to prevent high blood pressure and lowers the potential effect of cholesterol.
- Helps Reduce Chronic Pain – Szechuan pepper functions as an analgesic and the chemicals present in it can occupy the pain receptors. It thus helps eliminate the nervous system from generating discomfort and pain. This may not be a cure for pain, but it acts as a treatment and can be used for topical application on the affected area.
- Boosts Immune System – This pepper contains a high level of zinc, a potent mineral essential for improving the immunity of the body.
- Supports Bone Health – Szechuan peppercorns contain essential minerals such as phosphorous, manganese, copper, and iron which are necessary to strengthen bones and help prevent age-related conditions such as osteoporosis.
- Prevents Inflammation – It contains various antioxidants including phytosterols and terpenes; it has natural anti-inflammatory effects throughout the body. The compound found in Szechuan pepper neutralizes the free radicals and stops the inflammation at the root.
Environmental Wellness Benefits
- Plastic-free Packaging
- Plastic-free Shipping
Dried, whole Szechuan peppercorns
Depending on whether it is kept whole, chopped, or ground up after being dried, Szechuan peppercorn can be put to a myriad of different uses.
Given its sharp flavor, it is often used to infuse oils with its málà essence, blended into the recipe of numerous sauces such as Spicy Fermented Bean Paste, incorporated into stir-fries, salads, stews, soups, and braised dishes.
Ground peppercorn powder is also found in Chinese Five Spice Powder.
Dinner Tonight: Dry-Fried Chicken Recipe | Serious Eats
Keep in a sealed jar and store away from light. If Szechuan peppercorns will be ground, use them as soon as possible to maximize flavor and aroma.